Signing up for a Facebook Account
Facebook is fun and a great way to connect with friends and family, but it can contain a few hazards which I will point out now.
WARNING: Here are some do's and don'ts for Facebook: There are a few things that a person should be careful of when using Facebook. Below is a list of things NOT to post online for everyone to see.
- Never mention that you are going on vacation, or will be away from your home for a fairly long period. You don't want thieves to know your house is vacant!
- Try to avoid mentioning any truly personal information online, such as your personal email address, phone number, finances etc. Your true friends and your family will already know your important information.
- To avoid privacy invasion, do not log in to facebook using a phone number. Even though it says at the top of the login: "Email or Phone", it's best not to use your phone number. You may be open to unsolicited calls.
Signing up for Facebook
FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE: You can also sign up for your first Facebook account by clicking anywhere on the photo below!
- Enter your first name, and then your last name in the first two boxes.
- Enter your full email address. Example: email@example.com
- Enter this information again. Why do they ask for this? This is for your safety to prove that you are not a spybot. (A spybot can be a tiny web program designed to pick up, record or steal copied and pasted information into forms).
- Enter your password. It is recommended to use a new password, but you can use your regular password as well.
- Next: Enter your birthdate (Note: you can later change this in your account so your actual birthdate does not show).
- Then check the appropriate boxes indicating "Male" or "Female".
That's all there is to it! Just follow the 4 simple steps that appear. Show me the simple steps
NOTE: WHEN YOU ACTUALLY APPLY ONLINE, AND IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND OR CARE ABOUT THESE STEPS, CLICK ON THE LINK THAT SAYS "Skip" ON THE LOWER RIGHT JUST BEFORE THE BLUE "SAVE & CONTINUE" BOX. (You can always do these steps later).
You can skip this part because you can always find friends later.
This information is safe to add. However, if you prefer more privacy, you can skip this step as well.
You'll need to go to your email account that you used to sign up with and click a "verify" link. The message will be from Facebook, and will ask you to click a "Confirm" box. Do this to activate your Facebook account.
Back to Top